French Onion Soup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 oz (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, medium julienne (long strips)
- 1 container (28 oz) Stock Options Premium Veal Stock
- 3 oz (9 tbsp) port (tawny if available)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 6 slices rustic bread, toasted
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated reggiano or other hard cheese
Melt butter over medium heat in a heavy bottom stock pot. Add onions and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes, still stirring. Deglaze pot with port, stirring, and add Stock Options Veal Stock, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour. You should have about 30–32 ounces.
Heat oven to 375. Divide the soup equally into 6, 8-ounce oven-proof bowls (about 5–6 ounces each). Layer 1 each toasted bread and swiss cheese, and top with grated parmesan. Bake until cheese melts, about 5–8 minutes.
Serve as a first course or with a salad for a light meal.